Lower Fort Garry Tour and Theme Evening
At 1:00pm the group boards the Paddlewheel Princess at the Alexander Docks, just north of the Forks. The Paddlewheel then sails north on the Red River, through the locks at Lockport, and arrives at Lower Fort Garry at about 4:00 pm. Sights along the way include; St. John's Church, Kildonan Park, River Road, St. Andrews Lock & Dam, Greater Winnipeg Floodway, St. Andrews Church and Captain Kennedy House.Upon arrival at Lower Fort Garry the group will be greeted by Fort staff and the Governor in period costume.
From 4:00 pm until approximately 5:30/5:45 pm there will be a tour of the Fort plus everyone will have an opportunity to take part in three games including hatchet throwing, tobacco splitting (into a spittoon) and cat and mouse. For your information cat and mouse is where participants stand at each end of a log that is on the ground, each holding one end of a rope. The object of the game is to tug, not wrench, the opponent off the log.
t about 5:45 pm the group will gather in the historic Big House for a wine and hors d'oeuvres reception with Governor Colville. During the reception Governor Colville could present prizes to the winners of the games. Following the reception, at about 6:30 pm the group walks to the historic warehouse where they have a Manitoba/historical meal with the governor.
The catered meal provides; bison, Manitoba pork, bannock & butter, wild rice, cabbage rolls, perogies, baby carrots, house salad, Caesar salad, historical desserts (apple pie with ice cream, wild berries with whipped cream or pumpkin pie) coffee, tea or juice. During dinner the group will be entertained by an Aboriginal Hoop dancer, a Ukrainian Dance group and the Lower Fort Lilters, a traditional folk group that performs Celtic music from the 1700's to the 1850's. At about 9:00 pm the group departs Lower Fort Garry by bus back to Winnipeg via River Road Heritage Parkway. Arrive back at your Winnipeg hotel at about 10:00 pm.
- Transportation from the Alexander Docks to Lower Fort Garry on the Paddlewheel Princess
- Meet and greet by Lower Fort Garry costumed staff and Governor upon arrival
- Guided tour of the main Lower Fort Garry buildings with costumed interpreters
- Arrangements for three historic games; Hatchet throw, Tobacco spitting and Cat and Mouse
- Wine and hors d'oeuvres reception in the Lower Fort Garry Big House with Governor Colville
- Manitoba themed dinner in the historic warehouse building
- Performances during dinner by an Aboriginal Hoop Dancer, a Ukrainian Dance group and the Lower Fort Garry Lilters
- Return transportation from Lower Fort Garry via River Road to the downtown Winnipeg hotel by deluxe Beaver Bus Lines motor coaches